Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bug Off!




Chances are if you have been outside at all in the US you have had the aggravating experience of ticks. As you walk through a field or in the woods these blood sucking insects find their way onto your body. I can remember as a child always having a dog or two around our house, and most of the time in the spring and summer you could find ticks clinging to our family pets. I would often make the comment that it looked as if the dogs were wearing earrings, because of the fattened ticks hanging from their ears. I loved to pull the ticks off of the dogs and my favorite tool to use was an old pair of needle nose pliers. I would pull tick after tick and then give the dogs a good bathing. I am sure that this was very reliving for the dogs. My mother once pulled one of my teeth with this same pair of pliers! ( I did not know that it was the same pair till after the fact) If a tick bites in to your body not only to they take blood but they can leave deadly viruses. The same can be applied to grudges we hold onto in our lives. These "spiritual ticks" can suck the happiness right out of your life and create a dark and hardened heart. Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:14-15, "For if you forgive others their trespasses (sins), your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." So in other words if you hold a grudge against someone and don't forgive them, God will not forgive you of the sins that you commit against Him. And after all when we sin we are sinning against God. David cried out to God after he had sinned and said "Against you, you only have I sinned" (Psalm 51:4). I encourage you brothers and sisters to let God pull these "spiritual ticks" and pour a spiritual bath over your hardened heart, and feel the sweet relif of God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment