Wednesday, May 27, 2009

In One Ear And Out The Other!

It was day 3 of a 5 day bow hunt in Southern Indiana, and I was having little luck. Over the last few days I had spotted a few smaller bucks but nothing quiet big enough to harvest yet. My brother-in-law had taken a nice 8 pointer the evening before, and that morning he had spotted another trophy buck moving across a ridge not far from were I had been hunting. We meet back at the cabin for lunch and a quick game plan, when he ask me if I wanted to hunt his stand that evening and I quickly said "yes". Then he explained to me where his stand was located and that "the tree that it is in has very slick bark, so be careful as you climb up", I heard what he said but I could only think about that buck he had spotted that morning. As I made my way through the corn field and across the stream I saw his stand at the bottom of this big oak tree. I quickly tied my bow to the rope and stared my climb up this tree. At about 8ft, as I was watching the woods (and not what I was doing) and the stand slipped and I head butted the tree, knocking my self out and falling to the ground. When I came to a few seconds later I was uninjured and scared at the bottom of the tree. Why did I not listen? I had heard what he said "the tree is slick", but I didn't do what he said "be careful as you climb". James warns his readers about the same thing saying "be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves."(James 1:22) The Lord will bless those that trust in Him. You see it is more than simply just hearing about Christ, it is about following Him. I urge you to read God's word daily and "trust and obey".

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face to shine upon
you and be gracious to you;
the Lord lift up his face upon
you and give you peace."
Numbers 6: 24-26

1 comment: