Saturday, May 16, 2009

Watch Out!


It was lunch time, and after a slow morning of watching squirrels gathering acorns I decided to climb down from the tree I had spent the morning in. As usual I was going to meet my father on the old logging road, and then we would walk together back to the cabin for a bologna sandwich and a Dr. Pepper. It was late September and the weather was warming up as I untied by bow and started down the trail. I had not gone far when the leaves at my feet became alive! Terrified I stopped mid step and looked down to see a "whopper" of a copperhead coiled up and ready to strike, at my feet. It seemed like minutes went by as I wondered what to do. Armed with just my bow I decided to RUN, and run fast. I past by my dad who also started running thinking that a bear was chasing me. After a short distance we stopped and I explained my actions, we went back to see if the snake was still there, but it was gone. We have had a good laugh about that for quite some time. Sometimes in life we are walking down "the old logging road" and there the devil tries to attack us. Peter warns us to "be watchful, the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking for someone to devour."(1 Peter 5:8) Wow, not just a lion but a roaring lion. And he is looking to devour someone. This my fellow outdoor lovers, is a warning for us all. Be on the lookout, the devil is out there. So how do we protect ourselves from him? Well, Peter continues and tells us to "resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." (1 Peter 5:9-10) Just some words of warning from our fellow fisherman Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment