Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Missed Opportunity


The alarm clock rang off at 5:30am and I quickly turned it off, before I woke up the wife and kids. I got dressed into my camo and walked outside, it was the opening week of muzzle loader season and the temp and dropped. I got settled into my deer stand and before long I heard the sound of a buck "grunting" in the woods beside me. Well I never did see any deer, but my wife sent me a message saying "there are three deer in the back yard" (go figure). Well that evening in was still very cool and rainy so I decided to go back to the stand early. After settling in and plugging a few holes in the leaky roof, I spotted to deer walking my way. I decided to let them go on because it was early and I had the feeling that a "big boy" may show up. Well an hour or so later I saw two more big does coming down. After the deer had feed and left to woods got very still. As the sun went down and the woods turned that grayish dark I noticed a deer heading my way! I got the gun up and looked down the scope and it was a good buck! I guess I got "buck fever" and missed the shot. Oh I was and am so depressed about the missed opportunity I had. It reminded me of Galatians 6:9-10 Paul says " let us not grow weary while doing good for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith." You see we all have opportunities to do good things for people, helping a neighbor pay a light bill, letting someone in front of us at the grocery store, telling a coworker about Christ. Paul ends his letter to the Galatians with this "And as many walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. From now on let no one trouble me, for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus. Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen." (6:16-18)

No comments:

Post a Comment